R-OdeonINDIA: A man has died of “severe burns” following an air conditioning system explosion in Ghatkopar, a suburb in eastern Mumbai.

According to newspaper reports, two engineers were called to a centralised air conditioning system at the R Odeon shopping mall in Ghatkopar on Saturday.

The Times of India reports that the victim Nasim Ansari and his colleague were servicing the plant when the incident occurred. According to police reports, Ansari suffered severe burns in the explosion, which was “caused due to some leak in the plant compressor”. His colleague had gone down to collect some tools at the time.

The Mumbai Mirror says the two men were attending a refrigerant gas leak at the time and quotes the local fire officer as saying: “It appears the leak had not been plugged properly which triggered the blasts.”