Merger will save Johnson $150m in taxes

1387383996769USA/IRELAND: Johnson Controls is to merge with Tyco, a global fire and security provider, in a deal worth $3.9bn.

Under the terms of the agreement, Johnson Controls will own about 56% of the merged company.

In what is termed an inversion deal in the US, the new company will be renamed Johnson Controls PLC with the combined company’s headquarters based in Cork, Ireland.

An inversion deal is a largely American term for the relocation of a corporation’s legal domicile to a lower-tax nation, or corporate haven. The merged businesses are expected to save at least $150m a year on taxes and at least $500m in costs over the first three years.

While Tyco’s current base in Cork will become the merged company’s legal domicile, the primary operational headquarters will be in Milwaukee, where Johnson Controls has been based.

Under the terms of the agreement, Johnson Controls shareholders will own approximately 56% of the equity of the combined company and current Tyco shareholders the remaining 44% of the equity of the combined company. 

“The proposed combination of Johnson Controls and Tyco represents the next phase of our transformation to become a leading global multi-industrial company,” stated Alex Molinaroli, chairman and chief executive officer, Johnson Controls. “With its world-class fire and security businesses, Tyco aligns with and enhances the Johnson Controls buildings platform and further positions all of our businesses for global growth. Through this transaction, we will also expand our ability to further invest globally, develop new innovative solutions for customers and return capital to shareholders.”


Latest news from the world of air conditioning and refrigeration

UK News

7th December, 2016

honeywell-retail-energy-project-of-the-year-honeywell

Honeywell takes retail project award

UK: A cascade refrigeration system twinning CO2 with the HFO refrigerant 1234ze has been named as Retail Energy Project of the Year in last week’s Energy Awards in London.

1st December, 2016

steve-gowing-home

Stonegrove appoints Gowing

UK: Industrial refrigeration contractor Stonegrove Refrigeration has appointed Steve Gowing as design and project engineer.

1st December, 2016

javac-award-climate-center

Javac achieves Climate Center double

UK: Javac UK, the refrigerant recovery and vacuum pump supplier, has been named as Climate Centers’ Supplier of the Year for the second year running.

28th November, 2016

kevin-munson-home

Ruskin renamed Swegon Air Management

UK: Ruskin Air Management has been renamed Swegon Air Management following its acquisition by the Swedish manufacturer Swegon.

World News

7th December, 2016

36779366_m

Lack of training threatens phase down

EUROPE: The European Commission has warned that the uptake of training in alternative refrigerants is too low to match the requirements of the F-gas phase down.

6th December, 2016

63555869_s

R12 seized in the South Pacific

SOLOMON ISLANDS: Customs authorities in the Solomon Islands have reported their second seizure of the illegal CFC refrigerant R12 this year. 

5th December, 2016

43761248_s

Bitzer opens subsidiary in Iran

IRAN: German compressor manufacturer Bitzer has established a subsidiary company in Iran.

4th December, 2016

137284

Honeywell faces action over leak

USA: Seven local residents are reported to be suing Honeywell after a chemical leak at its Geismar, Louisiana, plant in August.

JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Leave A Comment