GERMANY: Over 100 emergency personnel were engaged for over 11 hours on Saturday after an ammonia leak at Nuremberg’s Meistersingerhalle concert hall.
Ammonia had leaked into the air conditioning system in the basement of the concert hall which is just across the park from the Nurnbergmesse, venue of the Chillventa exhibition.
Firefighters in chemical protection suits were able to seal the leak under the guidance of the refrigeration maintenance company. No one was hurt.
Positive pressure ventilation was used to disperse the gas and, due to the size of the building, a large mobile fan was also called in from the airport fire brigade. The escaping gas was put down by water spray in order to avoid a hazard for the environment. A specialist company took over the subsequent disposal of the liquid.