Waterloo helps preserve historic cannon13th June 2015
UK: Waterloo Air Products is supporting this year’s bicentenary of the Battle of Waterloo by helping to preserve one of the six surviving cannons from the battle.
In collaboration with the Royal Armouries, Waterloo Air Products is helping to preserve the French cannon Le Guebre – The Fire Worshipper.
Originally cast in 1813 in Metz, the cannon bears Napoleon’s monogram on the barrel. Waterloo’s sponsorship has enabled a complete restoration of the cannon which is now re-displayed outside the Waterloo block at the Tower of London, for the official Anniversary on June 18.
“The battle was a pivotal event in the 19th century and is associated with the laying of foundations for European co-operation,” commented Waterloo chairman Rick Edmondson.
Artillery was used extensively at Waterloo. After the battle much of the French artillery would have been taken as trophies by both the British and the Prussians. Many pieces were melted down for the bronze on Nelson’s Column in Trafalgar Square, and the huge equestrian monument to Wellington which now stands adjacent to The Royal Garrison Church of All Saints, in Aldershot.
In 1827, as constable of the Tower of London, Wellington ensured the preservation of the remaining captured Waterloo guns which form part of an extensive collection held by the Royal Armouries.
“Waterloo is proud to play a part in the centenary commemorations. Most of the soldiers came from Kent and the fact that our company is headquartered here is a poignant reminder. We are delighted to have made a contribution to preserve one of the few remaining cannons, which can be enjoyed by future generations,” adds Rick Edmondson.