World News

AC checks advised after house fire

Library photo

AUSTRALIA: The South Australian Metropolitan Fire Service is advising homeowners to check their air conditioners after fire caused AUS$30,000 damage to a house in Adelaide today.

With South Australians set for another hot summer, the Metropolitan Fire Service stressed the importance of ensuring air conditioners, evaporative coolers and fans were checked and serviced by a qualified tradesperson.

A family of three managed to escape after the fire in an evaporative air conditioner in a house in Elizabeth East, just before 7am on Wednesday.

Metropolitan Fire Service (MFS) and Country Fire Service (CFS) firefighters are said to have responded to more than 112 house fires caused by air conditioners, evaporative coolers and fans since 2012.

“In recent years, South Australia has experienced extended heatwaves and more of the same is occurring this summer. If you have faulty or poorly maintained air cooling equipment, the risk of overheating and, consequently, fire increases,” said MFS acting commander of community safety and resilience, Simon Hogben.

In a list of recommendations, the MFS advises that cooling equipment such as air conditioners and evaporative coolers should be installed and regularly serviced by a qualified tradesperson in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.

It also advises that equipment should be serviced before the start of summer and not to leave air cooling equipment running unattended while not at home.

Related Articles

Back to top button