Joe Cosentino, a 25-year-old refrigerator mechanic, was killed by the blast outside his Mulgrave home on December 12, 2011. The explosion littered the street with debris and damaged many homes in the area. The engineer was treated at the scene but sadly passed away later the same day in hospital.
According to the Herald Sun, the company is facing charges of failing to provide a safe working environment, failing to provide training and failing to ensure persons were not exposed to risk.
A two-day committal hearing this week heard a gas leak from one of six cylinders kept in Mr Cosentino’s work van may have caused the blast.
Only four days after the tragic incident involving Mr Cosentino another refrigeration engineer was killed in Darwin when his van exploded in similar circumstances as he prepared to go to work.
Leaking oxyacetylene cylinders were suspected in both cases.