UK: The inquest into the death of 45-year-old refrigeration engineer David Chandler at the Carlsberg brewery in Northampton in 2016 opened yesterday.
Northamptonshire Coroner’s Court heard that Chandler, who worked for lift-and-shift company Speedrite, died of ammonia inhalation while working at Carlsberg’s Northampton site.
Mr Chandler had been working on a contract led by energy efficiency company Crowley Carbon, part of which involved the removal of a redundant compressor, which had been unused for at least two years.
According to BBC reports, coroner Philip Barlow said pipe work for the unit had previously been disconnected, but during an attempt to move it there was a release of ammonia gas.
The inquest is set to run until July 3.
Carlsberg death inquest set for June – 27 April 2018
UK: The wife of David Chandler, the refrigeration engineer who died after an ammonia leak at the Carlsberg brewery in 2016, is hoping the forthcoming inquest will finally provide “vital” answers regarding his death. Read more…
HSE hits Carlsberg with Improvement Notice – 28 June 2017
UK: Carlsberg’s Northampton brewery, scene of the fatal ammonia refrigeration leak in November last year, has been issued with an Improvement Notice by the HSE. Read more…
Fridge plant suspect in fatal ammonia leak – 10 November 2016
UK: Investigators have so far refused to confirm or deny whether the refrigeration system was the source of yesterday’s fatal ammonia leak at the Carlsberg brewery in Northampton. Read more…
Ammonia leak victim named – 18 November 2016
UK: The man, who died following last week’s ammonia leak at Carlsberg’s Northampton brewery, has been named as 45-year-old David Chandler from Bridgnorth. Read more…