UK: The HSE is to prosecute both Carlsberg and one of the brewer’s principal contractors following the fatal ammonia leak at Carlsberg’s Northampton brewery in 2016.
On 9 November 2016, 45-year-old David Chandler was killed and his colleague, 56-year-old David Beak, was seriously injured following a large, uncontrolled release of ammonia from the site’s refrigeration system.
A total of 22 people, including 11 factory staff, two police officers, and nine firefighters were taken to hospital following the incident.
Carlsberg Supply Company UK Ltd of Bridge Street, Northampton will face charges under Sections 2(1) and 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and Regulation 3(1) of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999.
Crowley Carbon UK Ltd, the principal contractor of an energy efficiency project being undertaken at the time, of Station Approach, Marlow, Buckinghamshire will face charges under Sections 2(1) and 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.
An inquest in July 2018 decided that David Chandler’s death was accidental, but the ammonia refrigerant leak which killed him was preventable.
The first hearing will commence on 6 March 2020 at Birmingham Magistrates’ Court.
Ammonia death accidental but preventable – 2 July 2018
UK: The death of David Chandler at the Carlsberg brewery in Northampton in 2016 was accidental, but the ammonia refrigerant leak which killed him was preventable, an inquest has decided. Read more…
HSE hits Carlsberg with Improvement Notice – 28 June 2017
UK: Carlsberg’s Northampton brewery, scene of the fatal ammonia refrigeration leak in November last year, has been issued with an Improvement Notice by the HSE. Read more…
Ammonia leak victim named – 18 November 2016
UK: The man, who died following last week’s ammonia leak at Carlsberg’s Northampton brewery, has been named as 45-year-old David Chandler from Bridgnorth. Read more…
Fridge plant suspect in fatal ammonia leak – 10 November 2016
UK: Investigators have so far refused to confirm or deny whether the refrigeration system was the source of yesterday’s fatal ammonia leak at the Carlsberg brewery in Northampton. Read more…