Fernie leak site still not safe
CANADA: Those evacuated from the scene of Tuesday’s fatal ammonia leak in Fernie have spent a second night in temporary accommodation.
Emergency crews were said to have developed a strategy to gain access to the municipal Fernie Memorial Arena where an ammonia leak from the ice rink’s refrigeration system killed three workers. Entry was made yesterday on the west side of the building today where it was deemed safe. Levels on the east side of the building were still said to remain high and not safe for entry.
It has been confirmed that two of the three fatalities involved City of Fernie employees. Their names have not been released at the request of the families. The third victim was a Calgary-based employee of CIMCO Refrigeration.
“The primary focus at this time is developing a plan to secure safe access to the facility, which has been closed since yesterday [Tuesday] afternoon when Fernie Fire and Rescue responded to the scene,” said City of Fernie communications coordinator Liz Rhodes.
Responding to the emergency call, Fernie Fire Rescue found a citizen performing CPR on one individual. On entering the building, crews found two additional victims deceased and had to exit the building due to the hazardous environment.
Three workers dead in ammonia leak – 18 October 2017
CANADA: Three workers have been killed by an ammonia leak at an ice rink in British Columbia. Read more…