CANADA: Three workers have been killed by an ammonia leak at an ice rink in British Columbia.
Emergency crews were quickly on the scene of the incident yesterday at the Fernie Memorial Arena and homes and businesses in the area were evacuated.
Reports say those killed were working on the refrigeration plant at the municipal ice rink which had been closed for the day for “emergency repairs”.
The leak was reported around noon yesterday (20.00 CET).
The city said that CIMCO Refrigeration was on the scene assisting emergency crews and was working to acquire additional specialised resources to deal with the hazardous situation.
Opened in the early 1960s, the Fernie Memorial Arena has a 180ft x 80ft ice sheet and is one of the core recreation facilities in the area.