Worker dies in ammonia leak
CANADA: A male contract worker died yesterday after an ammonia leak at a food processing plant in Fort Erie.
Two other workers were also sent to hospital to be treated for injuries following the leak at the Rich Products factory which makes frozen dough products.
The leak is reported to have occurred in the factory’s plant room which houses the facility’s ammonia refrigeration equipment. The worker who died was working in the immediate area of the leak and was found critically injured.
The 85 Rich employees and 10 contract workers on site when the leak occurred were evacuated and local residents told to remain in their homes with their windows closed.
Production at the plant has been suspended.
The news as reported by local news station WIVB News: